Preview CSS changes against a live site, then upload when done
If most of the work you do is tweaking styles, you can preview your changes against a live site and only upload them when done:
- Make sure you have an up-to-date local copy of the CSS (SASS, LESS, etc) files you want to edit.
- Add the local folder to LiveReload and enable URL overriding (“Override URLs to serve modified CSS from localhost”) in Monitoring Options.
- Install the LiveReload browser extension if not already installed.
- Go to the live site and turn LiveReload on by clicking the toolbar button.
- Change a CSS file locally and watch it being applied to your site.
- When satisfied, actually upload the new CSS.
- unlike in CSSEdit, you have to save the file to apply the new styles to the browser; in the future we are going to provide some editor plugins to handle this without saving, at least in Sublime Text 2
- each time you reload the browser page, you need to save the modified CSS files again to trigger override
- identically-named files in different folders will probably confuse LiveReload
The last two limitations will be fixed in one of the upcoming updates.
See an overview of other remote workflows.